How do I configure the default keyboard layout during login?
You can change the keyboard layout using the keyboard control panel applet (start – settings – control panel – keyboard – Input Locales) however this does not affect the layout used during logon (which is by default English (United States)). To change this perform the following:
- Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload
- Double click on 1 and change the number to your local layout (you could get this by looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload1). Click OK
- You may also change HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International\Locale to this value however it is not mandatory to do so.
- Close the registry editor
- Logoff and then on again
Make sure you select a country code that has been installed via the control panel or your system will not boot.
A table of the codes to the countries is given below:
|00000409||English (United States)|
|00000809||English (United Kingdom)|
|00001409||English (New Zealand)|
These can also be seen in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\DosKeybCodes